Get Ready for Summer With These 5 Simple Health Tips!
Summer is almost here, and that means like most of us in Marin County and the Bay Area, it’s time to spend a lot of time outdoors. It also means being more active. Staying fit and fresh is a year-round goal, but there’s something about the summer that’s just different. We all like to take vacations, spend more time outside, exercise, hit the beach, and travel. And that takes a lot of energy. So, to get you pumped and ready to take on summer head on, here are five simple health tips to get you on your way.
- Hydrate! It seems self explanatory, but in order to do any of the following suggestions to staying healthy this summer, you’ll need to be well hydrated. Dehydration can be a killer. It will reduce your energy, increase your chances of overheating, and hurt your skin. Ideally, you should be drinking about 8 or 9 glasses of water a day, especially if you’re exercising or in the sun. Water is also great to drink right before you sleep, and right after you wake up, to help give you energy and get your body functioning on all cylinders.
- Eat foods with olive oil. Much like avocados, olive oil is full of healthy fats which contain essential fatty acids that help skin resist UV damage. These fatty acids are also part of the cell membranes that keep in all that moisture your body loses through heat and sweat during the summer. In order to protect your skin and keep it supple, consume about 1 tablespoon of olive oil daily or add it to a healthy salad or fish dish in order to get all those essential fatty acids. You’ll feel great, and look great too.
- Limit your exposure to the sun. Look, we know that summer and sun go hand in hand, and sunbathing is one of the preferred pastimes of the seasons. That being said, if you overexpose yourself, it can be a summer ruiner. Try to spend only a few hours a day in direct sunlight. Also, try to take breaks in the shade for about 20 minutes every hour or so. Most importantly, remember to use sunscreen, and reapply every 2-3 hours, especially if you’re going in the water.
- Maintain an exercise routine. Chances are, you probably already have one, but with so many fun distractions, it can be easy to slip on your routines. Try to keep a steady exercise routine, even while on vacation, so that you look and feel your best through the whole season. You can be creative, too! Laps in the pool are great, as is running on the beach, and outdoor yoga. Whatever you’re into, keep it up all summer long!
- Get a non-invasive Botox injection. Kick your summer look into full gear with a simple, safe, and quick Botox injection. They are non-invasive, and will have you looking (and feeling) young and fresh almost instantly. This will help give you the confidence boost you need to take on summer head on. Plus, with your summer health regimen intact, you will be unstoppable. Feel free to contact us about how we do our Botox procedures, and when we’re available to help you with yours!